Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Random thoughts from a smother-mother

Tonight, things are looking grim.

Tomorrow morning, Maddy will start first grade. Not only a new year, but a whole new school.

She seems fine with it. I'm fine with the new school - after going there for registration and meeting her teacher, things seem pretty great. But first grade?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Does every parent go through this? I feel like a total psycho. I have enjoyed this summer so much. Have there been a couple times where I'm like, "Uh, yeah, let's go back to school!" ? OF COURSE. But overall, the kids have been a joy. They rarely fight, they play together all day, and the last three months just went by in the blink of an eye.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(Mike took this last week. This was how we found the kids A LOT this summer.)

This summer was great. She perfected her cartwheel, figured out how to do a handstand, and became completely fearless in the water.

JUNE

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Playing with her crazy brother

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
She chopped her hair off! Five inches like it was no big deal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
She lost another tooth!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
We went to Randol Mill & she went on the big slide for the first time!

JULY

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Hanging out with her cousins was probably the best part of her summer. I found a post-it upstairs recently that said "This will be the best day of my life." Come to find out, she wrote it the day they were getting in town.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
RANGERS!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Diving! Let's be honest, most of them were belly-flops, but still!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
She got to hang out with some of her best pals this summer -

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Kate & Maddy - they are such cute little friends!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This crazy foursome! Friends since birth!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Her & Hud got to meet their Auntie Brittany. They loved her and have asked a few times when they'll get to see her again.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
She also loved spending time with Uncle Travis

It's fine, I know. At this time tomorrow, I'll wonder what I was up fussing about. But this is my little girl! And first grade is like... the big time! I'm having some of the same fears as last year - what if someone is rude to her? What if she gets lost? What if her teacher doesn't see how amazing she is?

Maddy is really the best. I'm sure most moms think that about their kids, but geez. She's funny, sweet, a great helper, an AMAZING sister, loves everyone, is brutally honest, and is so smart. I love hanging out with her and seeing what she'll come up with. She loves good music, she loves to read, and tonight she said "The only way I'll fall asleep is if you'll lay next to me." And in an instant, she was out.

Good luck tomorrow, my sweet girl! I love you tons and tons and tons! And I'll miss you in the day! ♥

3 comments:

Sarah Kirchmann said...

There's nothing wrong with how you feel! You're an awesome mom!

Doug & Tracy Myers said...

Aww Danielle, you made me cry! You are capable of so much love and those kids love you back so much! Maddy is a rock-star at everything she does and it is so fun to watch her grow up, but I know it tears your heart out a little at each milestone. That's how I feel too! Good luck this year and call or get together with us whenever you need a friend!

JSL, A, B and E said...

smother mother. I love it.